Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Recipe Review - Guinness Chocolate Cupcakes with Baileys Cream Cheese Frosting

Here I was all set to make a second batch of cupcakes (Kahlua anyone?) for my hubby's birthday, when I happened upon a post at Family Fresh Meals for something even more appealing. A last minute trip to the liqueur store and I was set to go! I have to say that I'm glad I made the switch. These cupcakes were fantastic. And the icing.. oh my.. I actually cut the ingredients in half for the cupcakes thinking I only wanted a dozen cupcakes, so I have to say the recipe halves easily and does not affect the outcome at all on the cupcakes. But, after I made the first batch, I immediately baked up the other half of the original recipe! Now I know why the recipe calls for making 24 cupcakes. You'd want to double it if it didn't anyways! They are delicious all the way around for sure! I did modify the amount of frosting I made based on the original recipe reviews and comments and am posting here what I actually made because it worked out perfectly! Enjoy!

Guinness Chocolate Cupcakes w/ Bailey's Buttercream 

Ingredients for 24 cupcakes -2 cups flour, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temp), 2 tsp vanilla, 2 eggs (room temp), 1/2 cup sour cream, 12oz Guinness stout beer

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and move rack to middle bottom position. Line muffin tins with 24 paper liners.

Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda in a bowl. Set aside.

In mixer, with paddle attachment, beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add one egg and beat to mix. Add second egg and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy. Add the sour cream and blend. Then, with the mixer running, slowly drizzle in the Guinness. Sift in the dry ingredients slowly and mix to combine, scraping down as needed, until fully incorporated.

Divide evenly between muffin cups. I was able to use a 1/4 cup scoop to get 24 cupcakes and the little extra that was left was just distributed among those that looked like they had slightly less in them. Bake for 20-25 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the middle will come out clean when your cupcakes are done. Be sure to let them cool completely before frosting. I did mine the night before and just stored them in an airtight container before frosting.

guinness chocolate cupcake

Ingredients for the frosting - 12 oz cream cheese (room temp), 6 oz unsalted butter (room temp), 3 cups powdered sugar, 6-9 Tbsp Bailey's Irish Cream (I used 6 because my hubby was taking them to work, but I think more would be appropriate to my taste!)

In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, blend cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar until smooth and light. Drizzle in Bailey's to taste and beat to incorporate fully, scraping down as needed. Frost as desired. I used a piping bag and a 1M tip. I had just a little frosting left over. It makes a delicious adult's spread/dip for graham crackers or fruit.

guinness cupckae baileys buttercream

These cupcakes baked up so light and fluffy, and the flavor was out of this world. I will make these again and again for sure! 

1 comments: