Friday, June 22, 2012

Recipe Review - Nectarine Custard Pie

Nectarines are in abundance right now, and while I just love munching on them, I wanted to try something new with them too. I'll admit custard and nectarines didn't necessarily jump out at me as a perfect combination, but indeed, they are! While, I'm sure this recipe is just divine with juicy, ripe nectarines, all the ones I had on my cupboard will still quite hard. I crossed my fingers and used them anyways, and I must say, I'm really pleased with the result. With a ripe nectarine, they break down to juicy, soft deliciousness, but when they are not ripe to begin with, they not only sweeten up perfectly with backing, but they maintain some 'bite' to them. With the custard around them, it's lovely! Oh, and this is such a quick and simple recipe too. You can't beat that!

nectarine custard pie

Nectarine Custard Pie 

Ingredients - 1 refrigerated pie crust, 4 cups chopped nectarines, 3/4 cup buttermilk, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour, 1 tsp salt, and 2 large eggs

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and put your pie crust in a 9" pie plate. Actually, I have a 9-1/2" and it was just fine. Spread your nectarines inside the crust. Whisk together everything else until smooth. You can definitely just do this by hand as it really just takes a few flicks of the wrist and you're done. Pour the buttermilk mixture over the nectarines.

nectarine custard pie
Bake for 40 minutes or until the custard is just set. Cover the edges of your crust if they seem to be browning too quickly. Cool completely to serve. I served mine with some whipped cream (not the frozen stuff) and it was fantastic! 

nectarine custard pie

4 comments:

  1. Yum this looks delicious! I love nectarines :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this pie exactly as above, except I made my own crust. Wonderfully delicious!!! This is a keeper! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aimee, I'm thrilled you tried it and loved it. I should make it again, soon, myself!

      Delete