Friday, August 31, 2012

August Foodie Penpal

This is my second month in that I've participated in a Foodie Penpal program from The Lean Green Bean and the last day of the each month is always 'reveal day' where we share what we received and sent. What a fabulous idea it is... sharing your favorite goodies with other people across the nation! The package I shipped out went to Florida to Laurie's Cravings, so be sure and check out what they had to say about what we sent. It was their second month in the program too!

foodie penpal
Now, for my package, which came from a non-blogger, Gracie, and turns out she is from Texas, where my family is from! She had no idea when sending out my package, and it just happened that she sent a lot of HEB items and local favorites! That was a fantastic surprise for me, and made the box doubly enjoyable! We received 2 HEB My Texas Life magazines with great recipes, Sea Salt a& Cracked Black Pepper crackers, Salt Lick Salsa, Basting Oil, Chili Lime Peanuts, Coffee, Raspberry Hibiscus Tea (that we brewed cold.. kind of like Starbucks Passion Tea.. YUM), Peach Iced Tea singles (that my hubby stole and took to work with him), and fantastic tortillas made fresh at HEB.

foodie penpal texas

First of all, O.M.G. that Salt Lick salsa was the best.. my hubby couldn't even wait for me to take a picture. He was diving right into the jar! I've seen Food Network shows with The Salt Lick, and now I want a perpetual running shipment of this stuff. So good with our favorite corn chip!

salt lick salsa

Another favorite was and is those crackers. I have never had something with that texture. It is a multiple grain cracker that tastes fantastic, but is so light it seems to just melt away in your mouth. Gracie said she ate hers with fresh Parmesan, so we tried ours with a fantastic sheep's milk cheese from Trader Joe's with the same sort of flavor. Wow, was she right! The combination was perfect!

crackers cheese

While, we are continuing to enjoy all the items sent, one other I have to feature is my daughter's favorite! I'll tell you, she never ceases to amaze me on the things she likes, but in this case, I'm addicted too, so what can I say.. and that is those chili lime peanuts that I believe were her hubby's afterthought to the box! Good call, hubby! :) Here is some we had in a lunch today...

nibble bento
Turkey balogna, mozzarella cheese, chili lime peanuts, mini crackers, celery, carrots, red bell pepper, tzatziki dip, mini marshmallows, and fruit gummies.

Now for the fine print and details about Foodie Penpals... ALL the details can be found on their website, though.
* On the 5th of every month, you receive your penpal via email. You contact your penpal to get their mailing address and any other information you might need to determine what to send.
* You have until the 15th of the month to get your goodies in the mail. On the last day of the month (reveal day), you will post about the goodies you received from your penpal.
* Boxes should be filled with fun foodie things like local food items, homemade treats, and favorites. The spending limit is $15 and must also include something written like a note or recipe. Shipping appropriately is up to you!

In this lunch...

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like great fun! But you're only supposed to spend $15 according to their website and food costs SO MUCH here I'd guess people would think I was cheating them. I can't imagine getting more than four or five items with $15. Maybe I'd cheat the rule and send more?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's probably understood that food costs vary place to place, so I wouldn't worry too much about that! It's a neat idea.. worth a try for a month to see how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete