Monday, March 25, 2013

Recipe Review - Crockpot Black Bean Mexican Stew

I have a not so secret love affair with my slow cooker. I'm not ashamed to admit it. I am always on the hunt for fantastic new recipes, so when I have one that we love and use over and over, I want to share too! This Mexican stew can be served as is, over rice, with cornbread or warmed tortillas, or even with tortilla chips. Toppings are up to you too. We serve it with shredded cheddar, a bit of sour cream, and chunks of fresh avocado, but use what you like, and enjoy!

Crockpot black bean stew
Crockpot Black Bean Mexican Stew
Ingredients - 2-15oz cans black beans (rinsed and drained), 2-4.5oz cans chopped green chilies, 1-14.5oz Mexican stewed tomatoes, 1-14.5oz diced tomatoes, 1-11oz can corn (drained), 4 sliced green onions (optional), 2-3Tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp minced garlic, 1-15oz can vegetable broth, plus optional topping ingredients like shredded cheese and sour cream

crockpot bean bean stew
This is where it gets really easy! All you need to do is dump all your ingredients into your crock pot and mix it up. Cook on high 4-5 hours, then low until serving. As mentioned above, we like to serve ours with shredded cheddar, sour cream, and avocado by the bowl with warm buttered corn tortillas. Whatever way you serve it, I hope you love it!
Another great thing about recipes like this is that kids can help. I opened the cans and my 4-year-old did the rest. Don't mind the giant mess on the counter. It was that simple, and around here, if the kiddo helps out with dinner, she is always more eager to eat.
crockpot black bean

3 comments:

  1. Ooo yum! Looks absolutely delicious! Thanks for linking up to Meatless Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for entering this recipe in my linky party, I chose this one as a featured recipe, and pinned it to my recipe sharing pinterest page. I would love it if you submited another recipe! http://themagicalslowcooker.com/2013/04/05/recipe-sharing-number-1/

    ReplyDelete