Monday, June 11, 2012

Recipe Review - Anti-Crabby Cake

Okay, I'm sure there is an official name out there for this cake, but this is a recipe I grew up with and it was only ever called anti-crabby cake because no matter how you were feeling, this cake would cheer you up. It still does the trick for me! It is an incredibly unique textured cake being dense, moist, chewy, yet melts in your mouth. Using a rich cream homemade cheese frosting on it just puts it over the top! And it's super simple. The cake itself has only 5 ingredients, and no heavy stand mixer required. This is a hand mix, pour, and bake cake! Man, oh man, is it delicious too!

Anti-Crabby Cake 

anti-crabby cake zoe's lunchbox
Cake ingredients - 1 large can crushed pineapple in 100% juice (do not drain), 2 c flour, 1 1/2 c sugar, 2 eggs, and 2 tsp baking soda

anti-crabby cake
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Toss all the cake ingredients in a bowl and mix by hand unless you desperately want to pull out your beaters! Pour into a 13x9 glass pan and bake for 30-40 minutes. You'll want to frost the cake while it's still warm, so make your frosting as the cake bakes.

Frosting ingredients - 8 oz. cream cheese (room temp), 1 stick unsalted butter (room temp), 2 c powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, and 2 Tbsp milk.

Beat ingredients together until smooth. Frost cake while it's still warm. It's easiest to just frost and leave the cake right in the pan.. Let cool a bit, then refrigerate. Serve cold and enjoy! Maybe even save some for breakfast for an 'anti-crabby' start to your day! 
anti-crabby cake zoe's lunchbox
This recipe even got a Blue Ribbon at Just a Pinch! We're pretty proud of that, too!
We also linked up to ...
PIN MEme

9 comments:

  1. I was astonished to see how low fuss this cake is to make. It is going on my to bake list! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, super easy! Let me know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, looks yummy! I may just have to try this!

    came by from Family Fresh Meals :)
    cheeseinmymacaroni.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh!! Looks so yummy and so easy! I must try!!! May I know which brand and size (of can) of pineapples? Just thinking perhaps here is sunny singapore may not hv exactly the same as in the states? Makes me so hungry just looking at the cake! oops!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi tona-mama! I buy Del Monte or Dole crushed pineapple, but the brand probably doesn't matter. The can size does! It's a 20oz can and the only other important part is that you are getting a can that is in 100% juice, NOT one in heavy syrup which will affect the outcome! If you make it, let me know what you think! We love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was wondering if crushed peaches with the juice would work? Hate pineapple, love peaches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm.. not sure, but if it did, peaches would be delicious in this dish. If you try it, be sure and let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We call it swedish nut cake...obviously my recipe calls for chopped pecans. A quick and super easy, super yummy dessert

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not crabby, but I've been sick all week so I'd *LOVE* to have some of this. YUM! Thanks for sharing at my Pin Me Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete