Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Spring Clean Day 2

I really am determined to make some headway on my Pinterest 'Must Try' list, but last night after actually doing some of those on the list, I found myself adding tons a couple more .. It seems a losing battle, but it's only day 2, so I'll forge on. Today meant, 4 pins down, and partially another 1. And I only added .. wait, how do I still have 51 pins? Alas...

Today, we prepped some fabulous refrigerator oatmeal flavors that were on my 'must try' list, which we'll report on in the coming days as we see how they came out for us.

We also started working on some fabulous organization ideas we had pinned. It still needs some tweaking, but here is what we did thanks to the tip at Something to Do. All this is is a $5 over the door shoe organizer that we secured with Command strip hooks instead of the big over the door hooks. There are 24 pockets, which is plenty for all our odds and ends. The only complaint I have is that there isn't a couple larger compartments for broader items, but we are going to try to 'make' a couple into wider pockets. We'll share some more of the organizing ideas we saw on Pinterest as we tackle them hopefully sometime this year week.

craft storage shoe organizer

We managed to use another cute idea pinned from Fiskers. While their idea was using paper crafting, we translated that to bento art! Here is the resulting lunch. I rushed to make it so we could take it along with us to an appointment I had to get to, but not bad for a last minute job, I'd say.

monkey bento lunch
Banana, celery, Trader Joe's mini peanut butter cups, carrots, and a bagel thin with Swiss and smoked Gouda cheese.

With dinner, we decide to try the Parmesan baked potato halves from Fav Family Recipes, following the recipe as written, using 1/2 tsp garlic powder, salt and pepper. Now, you can't really go wrong with butter, Parmesan, garlic, and potatoes, and they did taste great, but if I were to do them again, I'd cut the butter in half for sure, and perhaps line the pan with parchment so where the cheese really baked on, it wouldn't be as rough to clean up.


And for a snack before bedtime, we decided to try our new Xpress Pops maker and make some honeydew melon popsicles from the recipe on Will Cook for Smiles. I love all melons, but honeydew is the least popular with the rest of the household. Having said that, the kiddo and hubby devoured these popsicles. In fact, kiddo ate half of mine! I think the key is to get a nice ripe honeydew for this, though. Ours was just slightly under so would have benefited from a wee bit more sugar or honey. The original recipe called for a sprinkling of blueberries or raspberries, but all I had on hand was strawberries, which I chopped up fine and tossed into a few of the pops. With our popsicle maker, this recipe made 10 popsicles, so we were really happy with it. I may try the exact same recipe with cantaloupe next time. Yum!

honeydew popsicles

In this lunch...

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of awesome successes!! I love the monkey lunch :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm a bit OCD and having all those 'to do' pins makes me nuts! Wait, maybe I shouldn't be admitting all that! Either way, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, amazing monkey sandwich! Looks wonderful and I love the pops! Are you happy with the new pop maker? I have had the Zoku Ice maker on my Amazon list forever but it is just such a big investment and this one looks very similiar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I know many folks rave about the Zoku, which does have the added feature of cute faces! But, for $15, I have ZERO complaints with this one!

    ReplyDelete