Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Day 3 - Some More Progress

2 more pins down, leaving our 'to do' list at 49. I did really well too not adding any today... YET! So, I feel less than accomplished on my goal, but I did buy some chicken and cauliflower for some of tomorrow's ideas!

For breakfast, we enjoyed our first batch of refrigerator oatmeal, which we made last night from recipes we found at The Yummy Life! We have several more we'd like to try, though, and plan to make two more varieties tonight. While I have some texture issues and wasn't sure at first about those trendy chia seeds, these oatmeal concoctions really grow on you. I added a bit more fresh fruit to serve and decided I love the mango almond version. We also did apple cinnamon and peanut butter banana. I probably wouldn't repeat the PB one or would have to add more liquid (it was a bit thick for me), but the apple I would, reducing the applesauce a bit I think (this one was a bit runny). Did I mention that mango almond one was the bomb?

refrigerator oatmeal

Another pin we tried today was a fun, simple idea from Joy of Jello. It doesn't get much easier, and child could certainly help with this one.. ours did! Mix a packet of any flavor jello powder with 1/2 cup water. Stir, microwave 1 minute, and stir again to dissolve. Add 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows and microwave 30-40 seconds. Stir to dissolve into the liquid. Pour into a light buttered or sprayed square pan and pop in the fridge to set, about 45 minutes. The jello and marshmallow layers separate on their own. From there, the idea is to remove the whole sheet of jello and roll it up into a tube, which you then slice for a layered pinwheel of creamy jello! We did this, but also played with it a bit to created layered shapes by stacking squares of the jello and using fun mini cookie cutters. I'm thinking these will be in tomorrow's lunchboxes!

jello pinwheel

0 comments:

Post a Comment